Thursday, January 24, 2019

Franklin Park Conservatory


The Franklin Park Conservatory, located in Columbus, Ohio, was built in 1895.  It houses over 400 species of plants and features a Victorian Palm house with more than forty different kinds of palms.

Throughout the year, there are many special displays.  One of the prettiest is the Victorian Garden Orchid display, held during winter months.  You can see hundreds of orchids and learn about how they were cultivated during Victorian times.

The Conservatory is open daily from 10 AM to 5 PM.  Admission is $11.00 per adults, and $6.00 for children.

12 comments:

  1. I LOVE Victorian green houses. We have one such in the heart of San francisco's Golden Gate Park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've been there. We went to some gardens a few years ago. If we didn't see that one, I want to next time we visit Columbus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several nice places to visit in Columbus. Visit the topiary gardens, too, if you get a chance. (And if you like to hike, Hawking Hills is really pretty! One of my favorite places.)

      Delete
  3. The building is superb. It's in the same style as the one in Kew Gardens in Richmond, London. It's a style that has never been improved!
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s laughingly loquacious Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's perfect for housing tropical plants. Pretty to look at and functional.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sherry - that should be a really exhibition to visit and learn all about orchids ... love those sort of glass houses ... as Bazza says - reminds me of Kew. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't visited Kew. If I'm ever there again, I'll have to see it.

      Delete
  5. Orchids are so lovely. So many varieties. This conservatory looks wonderful to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very excited that the orchid I've been growing is blooming again. It took three years! Orchids are such pretty flowers.

      Delete