Monday, December 31, 2012
It is known for its ornamental ponds, terraces, and collection of bronze figures by Aristide Maillol. In addition to the beautiful perrenial flowers, the garden is home to 20 species of trees, including Mulberry and Judas trees.
The garden is open daily in April - August from 7:00 AM to 9:00 PM, and in September - March from 7:30 AM to 7:30 PM. Admission is free.
Thursday, December 27, 2012
It's a fun place to take kids. The sculptures are quite interesting (there's a cute dragon that's really popular) and there are many unusual plants.
The nursery is open on Friday from 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM, Saturday from 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM, and Sunday from 12:00 PM - 5:00 PM. Admission is free.
Sunday, December 23, 2012
Founded in 1961, the garden is actually a collection of gardens. Visitors can enjoy a Mediterranean garden, rose garden, cactus garden, herb garden, Japanese garden, and a cute little children's garden.
The garden is open from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM every day except Christmas. Admission for adults is $8.00. Admission for children is $3.00.
Wednesday, December 19, 2012
Sunday, December 16, 2012
Friday, December 14, 2012
1. Pick your evergreens. They can be collected from your yard or purchased. Using all of the same kind gives a formal look. Different kinds can give it more texture. Some kinds of evergreens to consider are fir, juniper, and arborvitae.
2. Soak your evergreens. Cut off the bottom of each branch at an angle and soak for 24 hours in a bucket of water. This will make the wreath last longer.
3. Gather materials: a wreath form, florist wire, evergreen branches, pruning sheers, and decorations like ribbons and bows.
4. Trim evergreen branches into small, easy to work with pieces.
5. Lay the form on a flat surface, concave side facing up to hold the evergreens.
6. Lay a piece of evergreen on the form and loop wire around the woody stem, and then loop around the wreath form to attach.
7. Overlap with another of the same kind of evergreen, facing the same direction and attach the same way.
8. After your base is done, you can add other types of evergreens and decorations.
It's a good idea to make your wreath about a week before Christmas so it looks nice for the holiday.
Before I go, I'd like to thank all of you who visited my A-Z post and also thank those of you who voted for Gone Gardening in the blog awards. I really appreciate it!
Wednesday, December 12, 2012
Hey everybody. Today, I'm over at the A-Z Challenge blog answering questions about my posts from the A-Z challenge. If you have a chance, please stop by! Also, I'm very excited to announce that Gone Gardening is a finalist in Karen's blogs of the year awards! It's under "Best Kept Secret." If you have a moment, and you like my blog, please visit and cast your vote. Thank you Karen, and thanks to all of you for following!
Tuesday, December 11, 2012
There are three main sections of the garden: The Indian Hill Mesa, which is a flat-topped hill with wild lilacs and manzanitas, the East Alluvial Gardens, which is home to the desert garden and coastal dune, and the Plant Communities which has many native California plants, including the California Flannel Bushes.
The garden is open daily from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Admission is $8.00 for adults and $4.00 for children.
Thursday, December 6, 2012
Park Monceau is a favorite place for families with children. There are quite a few playgrounds there. It's a great place for Parisians to relax and get away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
The park is open from dawn to dusk. Admission is free.
Saturday, December 1, 2012
There aren't a lot of flowers in these gardens, but it is a nice place to hike. Visitors will enjoy wooded trails, and Lake Lucerne, a small, spring-fed lake which is home to muskrats, herons, geese, and turtles.
The gardens are open Tuesday through Saturday from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Admission is free.
Quick advertisement: I am a guest at greeting card designer, Tracy Campbell's blog. I'll be giving away copies of my books. If you have time, please stop by and visit!
Also, if you'd like to see a baby picture of me, stop by Mama Diaries, where I'm particpating in the Baby Faces blogfest.