Friday, December 14, 2012

How to Make an Evergreen Wreath

Since Christmas is right around the corner, I thought I'd share with you how to make an evergreen wreath.  It's not that difficult, and the beauty and smell of them are so nice for the holidays.

1.  Pick your evergreens.  They can be collected from your yard or purchased.  Using all of the same kind gives a formal look.  Different kinds can give it more texture.  Some kinds of evergreens to consider are fir, juniper, and arborvitae.

2.  Soak your evergreens.  Cut off the bottom of each branch at an angle and soak for 24 hours in a bucket of water.  This will make the wreath last longer.

3.  Gather materials:  a wreath form, florist wire, evergreen branches, pruning sheers, and decorations like ribbons and bows.

4.  Trim evergreen branches into small, easy to work with pieces.

5.  Lay the form on a flat surface, concave side facing up to hold the evergreens.

6.  Lay a piece of evergreen on the form and loop wire around the woody stem, and then loop around the wreath form to attach.

7.  Overlap with another of the same kind of evergreen, facing the same direction and attach the same way.

8.  After your base is done, you can add other types of evergreens and decorations.

It's a good idea to make your wreath about a week before Christmas so it looks nice for the holiday.




Before I go, I'd like to thank all of you who visited my A-Z post and also thank those of you who voted for Gone Gardening in the blog awards.  I really appreciate it! 

6 comments:

  1. I'd probably create a new geometrical shape if I made my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sherry .. I probably could do them, but never have and where I live now is not at all suitable for this sort of project - sadly ...

    Thanks for the tips and for showing us ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOpefully somebody will find this information useful. Sorry you can't use it! Did you ever make the hydrangea wreath?

      Delete
  3. My mother used to send us snips of pine from her trees. I never managed to make a wreath though. Usually they just ended up as a swag.

    ReplyDelete