Monday, January 14, 2019

Christmas Cactus

Some of you may have gotten a Christmas cactus over the holidays. I figure this is a good time to tell you a little about the plant, and to give some tips about how to care for it.

The Christmas cactus, or Schlumbergera, is native to the mountains of south-eastern Brazil.  It likes shade and high humidity.  It can be recognized by its leaf-like pads and pink flowers which flower only around Thanksgiving or Christmas (hence the name).

Here are some tips for caring for your Christmas cactus:

1.  Keep away from direct sunlight, drafts, heat vents, or fireplaces.

2.  Provide a source of humidity.  You can put a tray of water next to the plant, so that the water evaporates and provides humidity.

3.  Do not  overwater.  Once a week should be enough.  And if you can, don't water from the top.  It is best to put the plant in a tray of water and allow water to seep through holes in the bottom of the container.

4.  Prune your cactus one month after blooming.  

Before I go, I'd like to thank those of you who voted for my book, Bubba and Squirt's Big Dig to China in the cover contest. I appreciate it! There's one more day to vote in round two. If you'd like, please follow this link to vote for it:  

6 comments:

  1. In other words, it's not an easy plant to keep alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For those with a green thumb it is. I know a couple of people who have ginormous Christmas cacti.

      Delete
  2. I've killed cactus before. I'm sure I could kill that one, too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't have a green thumb, you probably would.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sherry - I love Christmas cacti ... but plants can be challenging we all want to love them loads ... yet if we let them be and treat them not too well - they thrive ... I'm trying to keep a pointsettia alive, as too a cyclamen ... surviving (just) so far! Happy New Year and good luck with the book ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept a poinsettia alive for years. We had to move, so I ended up giving it away. With proper care, plants can live a long time.

      Delete