Succulents are easy to grow in containers. Here's how to do it:
1. Choose the succulents you wish to use. Two to four different types work nicely. Here are some possibilities: Hens and chickens, aloe vera, jade plants, and donkey's tail.
2. Select a container. Shallow bowls with good drainage work well. I use the same kind that I use for planting my container lettuce garden.
3. Design your garden. Do this with the plants still in the pots. Place them in such a way to create interesting texture and color combinations.
4. Use cactus potting mix when you're ready to plant them. You can also use sand and small pebbles around them to create an interesting effect. I think black river stones look nice, too.
5. Place in a location that gets a few hours of direct sun, and a good amount of indirect sunlight. Too much direct sunlight isn't good. It'll burn the leaves.
6. Keep the soil moist, but not wet. In the winter, when the plants are dormant, water less frequently.