Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Happy Birthday IWSG!

 


The Insecure Writer's Support Group is celebrating 15 years! I remember when it was first started by Alex Cavanaugh. Hard to believe it has been that long! Many of us who are part of it can attest to what a positive experience it has been. So many friendships, so many writer opportunities, and so much knowledge shared about the publishing business and the craft of writing. If you're not already a part of it, you can join here.

To celebrate, Alex has asked members to share their books with links. The idea is for each of us to visit our blogger friends and support them by purchasing their books. Reviewing them is optional, but I plan to review every one that I buy. Reviews are so important for authors!

Here is my list:

I'll begin with the Bubba and Squirt books. These are middle grade stories about two siblings who travel through a vortex and arrive in different countries. They have an adventure while learning about the language, history, and cultures of the country. The series is published by Dancing Lemur Press. I participated in a IWSG Twitter Pitch many years ago. Diane Wolfe, the owner, who is also an IWSG member, liked the pitch, asked to see the manuscript, and the rest is history. I am so grateful to IWSG and Diane for this opportunity! Diane also has several excellent books of her own, so be sure to check them out!



These are all universal Amazon links: 

Bubba and Squirt's Big Dig to China

Bubba and Squirt's Mayan Adventure

Bubba and Squirt's City of Bones

Bubba and Squirt's Shield of Athena

Bubba and Squirt's The Legend of the Lost Pearls

If you'd like to read all five books in one, check out

Bubba and Squirt's Adventures Around the World    


I also write picture books. Here are the links to those. All are universal links except That Baby Woke Me Up, AGAIN and That Mama is a Grouch. Those were my first two books and are only available as paperback books.



Happy Birthday to US! 

Ten Zany Birds

Don't Feed the Elephant

That Mama is a Grouch

That Baby Woke Me Up, AGAIN!

Finally, one of my stories, The Ghosts of Pompeii is in a IWSG anthology called, Voyagers, The Third Ghost. IWSG used to have writing contests, and the winners would have their stories published in an anthology. This particular one featured ghost stories.


Congratulations to IWSG on their 15th Anniversary! Thanks to the admin team for all their work!

We also have a question of the month:  What character archetype do you gravitate toward when you write? Since I write for younger people, the characters in my stories are young people. The oldest main characters would be in the upper teens, but most are early elementary to middle-grade.


Gardening Tips:

Since this is a gardening blog, here are some gardening tips for you: Grow tomatoes with basil, lettuce, and cucumbers. Conversely, don't grow cabbages with tomatoes. They compete too much for space and nutrients. Consider adding marigolds and nasturtiums to your vegetable gardens to attract bees and butterflies.  

  



38 comments:

  1. And I am so glad I liked your pitch! Five great books and a boxed set now.

    My basil is right next to my tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for liking my pitch! It has been a great experience working with you! Perfect that your basil is next to your tomatoes!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Love your pitch. Awesome. Thanks for the gardening tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the pitch. Thanks for visiting all these years! You've been a constant supporter!

      Delete
  3. I like to write about kids too. It's awesome seeing all the books you've published.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kids are such fun characters to create! Thanks for writing about them and for them. We need good books to encourage young readers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've written a lot of intriguing books!
    Happy IWSG anniversary.

    P.S. There are links to free books on my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got one of your books. I will review it for you once I get around to reading it. I have quite a pile of TBR!

      Delete
  6. Hi Sherry, I will be 70 in October and I still love picture books! I love the illustrations and the way they are written! Congratulations, your books are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've really enjoyed writing books for kids!

      Delete
  7. Great gardening tip. Thank you!
    Happy Birthday, IWSG!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Sherry! I LOVE your MG Bubba books. I've got the China one and I just purchased the Voyagers book. I've found many true friends through IWSG. I've learned a lot from you all. More power to you, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for getting the Voyager book! I'm sure the other authors are grateful, too!

      Delete
  9. I'm excited to read the Bubba books! I just got the China one. What a cool story that your books got picked up through ISWG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy reading Bubba and Squirt's Big Dig to China!

      Delete
  10. Three sisters -- corn, beans, and squash. They support each other. I don't garden, but that's something my Lenni Lenape people did.
    I've read and reviewed at least two of your books. I recall enjoying them.
    “As the alluring song of September begins to whisper in my ear, my passionate spirit yearns for the splendor of its promise." -- Peggy Toney Horton.

    J (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) @JLenniDorner ~ Speculative Fiction & Reference Author and Co-host of the April Blogging #AtoZChallenge international blog hop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and reviewing my books! I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  11. I hope you know how much I appreciate your talent. Your books are great.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you for your editing jobs! I appreciate you!

      Delete
  12. You have had a lot of books! We did not have any tomatoes this year,but chard was very bountiful and it is still giving us leaves for eating three months after we planted it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My tomatoes didn't do well this year, either. I wonder what was up.

      Delete
  13. I love how many books you've written. It's incredible!

    No planting for us this year. I've got a dog who likes digging too much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sherry - yes ... well done to you and to IWSG ... and great that a blogger was able to publish your books for you ... it's a great community and long may it last. I gather tomatoes appreciate the help of marigolds and nasturtiums ... little blighty bugs can be kept at bay ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Marigolds are quite helpful in keeping the bugs away.

      Delete
  15. I don't think I realized that's how you got picked up and published! That's fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty cool, isn't it? This has been a great group of people!

      Delete
  16. It's been an amazing writer journey. I feel like I do have friends in other states and I've enjoyed their journey. Yours has been wonderful. I've bought your books to give to friends for their new children and grandchildren. Your words live on - keep up the good work. Cheers, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all of your support! I appreciate you!

      Delete
  17. Like the cover layout of Voyagers

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm always pleased to stop by and read your gardening tips in addition to all the book stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being a long-time friend in the blogger community!

      Delete