Friday, December 20, 2019

Christmas Cactus


The Christmas cactus, or Schlumbergera, is native to the mountains of south-eastern Brazil.  It likes shade and high humidity.  It can be recognized by its leaf-like pads and pink flowers which flower only around Thanksgiving or Christmas (hence the name).

Here are some tips for caring for your Christmas cactus:

1.  Keep away from direct sunlight, drafts, heat vents, or fireplaces.

2.  Provide a source of humidity.  You can put a tray of water next to the plant so that the water evaporates and provides humidity.

3.  Do not overwater.  Once a week should be enough.  And if you can, don't water from the top.  It is best to put the plant in a tray of water and allow water to seep through holes in the bottom of the container.

4.  Prune your cactus one month after blooming.  

I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

11 comments:

  1. I am famous for killing Christmas cactus. Very sad. But I'm managing to keep a poinsettia alive so far.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm in the process of killing my Poinsettia. My apartment is not a good place for it. Hope yours does well.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sherry - they are amazing plants ... my SIL has been trying to kill hers off for years... poor plant! Still it keeps coming back when someone gives it a little care ... she's a busy lady - so an excuse or two! Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can kill them within a month! I do have a pointsetta still alive from last Christmas, but it's certainly not blooming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll bloom again. That happened to me, too. I was shocked when it turned red again.

      Delete
  4. That's a colorful cactus plant.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Christmas Cactus is so colourful, I love the pink colour.
    My good wishes for 2020.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete