The Ohio State University Chadwick Arboretum, in Columbus, Ohio, is a 60 acre arboretum on the campus of Ohio State University. Its mission is to provide an educational environment for students' horticultural studies as well as be a resource of learning for the general public.
The gardens began in 1888. At that time, the Columbus Horticultural Society tended them on campus. They were called the Horticultural Gardens. In 1926, the gardens were opened to the public. In 1980, the gardens were renamed as the Ohio State University Chadwick Arboretum, in honor of Dr. Lewis C. Chadwick, a professor at the university.
Today, the gardens contain a large selection of Ohio plants, tropical plants, wildflowers, and woody plants. It represents one of the most varied collections of plants in the state.
The Learning Gardens are the most visited section of the arboretum. These are a collection of twelve gardens, which include the Easy Elegance Rose Garden, the Katherine F. Fosser Wildflower Garden, the Gazebo Garden, and the Bamboo Garden.
The gardens are open daily from dawn to dusk. Admission is free.