Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Willowood Arboretum

Willowood Arboretum, located in Gladstone, New Jersey, is 130 acres of rolling farm land that has about 2100 different kinds of native and exotic plants. In 1908, two brothers, Henry and Robert Tubbs, used an inheritance to purchase a country home. They spent a lot of time developing the grounds. It is New Jersey's most comprehensive and longest continually-operating arboretum. Since 1980, it has been under the management of the Morris County Park Commissioner. Visitors will enjoy formal gardens and a lot of trees. One is a huge Redwood which is now more than 98 feet tall.


The arboretum is open daily from 8:00 AM to dusk. Admission is free.   







Before I go, I'd like to let you know that one of my blogger friends, Traci Terry, is having a give-away of my book, Don't Feed the Elephant. If you'd like to enter or read the nice review she gave, please go here.

12 comments:

  1. I just can't imagine looking up to a nearly 100 foot tall redwood tree. How awesome.
    Have a great day and week, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a big tree. I don't know if you've ever been to the Redwood Forest in California. I have, and standing next to trees that size makes you feel very small and insignificant.

      Delete
  2. Looks lush. And I always think of redwoods in CA, not NJ. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a surprise to me, too to see a Redwood there.

      Delete
  3. Wow . . . that's such a beautiful looking place, it almost takes my breath away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the nineteenth century it was fashionable to import Redwoods for planting in country-house gardens, parks and forests. In the right conditions (fairly high elevations) they have been very successful, the tallest being around 180 feet!
    Willowood looks a great place to visit.
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s floccinaucinihilipilificatious Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that. I know they sell Redwood tree saplings at the Redwood Forest now. My kids wanted to try growing it. But I knew it would never grow in Cincinnati. Just not the right place for a tree like that.

      Delete
  5. Hi Sherry - congratulations on your book publication - it sounds delightful. Love the wisteria and the garden ... Bazza tells well - i.e. in England Redwoods were imported for country estates and they are magnificent. I'm loving the forests here - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How very interesting that Redwoods were imported to England!

      Delete