Thursday, October 5, 2017

Fall Container Gardens


Fall is a great time to experiment with different plants and create attractive container gardens. It doesn't have to be restricted to mums. I recently made one with ornamental peppers, cabbage, violets, pansies, wirevine, and . . . a mum. It looks beautiful!

The one pictured above, done by Estabrooke Farms in Yarmouth, Maine caught my eye. I like how the snap dragons look like candy corn. The purple nemesia looks so pretty against it. In case you're wondering, the other plants in the pot are red snap dragons and leather leaf sedge.



Get creative with textures and leaf colors. Grasses work well, because they add height and contrast. You can also choose to plant one type of plant in a container and group a bunch of containers of contrasting plants together. The effect is pretty.

Just because summer is over, doesn't mean you can't have pretty plants. Have fun adding some splashes of color!

10 comments:

  1. And those you can bring inside when it gets frosty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have new flowers growing and blooming. Plus the mums will bloom soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those candy corn snapdragons are nifty. Perfect for fall. I shall admire other folks pots and also go to the local arboretum. They do fantastic stuff in Dallas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought those candy corn snap dragons were creative!

      Delete
  4. Hi Sherry - those look beautiful ... love seeing them. Shortly we can under-plant with bulbs ready for Spring ...I loved doing that ... now I don't have a garden or space ... I just have a few indoor plants ... love these - clever - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sherry,

    They are so beautiful! I love that you garden as well as all your other accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gardening slows things down a bit for me. It's a stress-buster.

      Delete