Saturday, July 6, 2013
Liebster Blog Award
I would like to thank K. Nowinsky for giving me the Liebster Blog Award. I've gotten quite a few of these on both this blog and my other, Mama Diaries, but I always like to acknowledge when I receive one. As part of the award, I'm supposed to share eleven things about myself, answer eleven questions, and make up eleven more questions. Then I'm supposed to nominate eleven more people. I probably won't follow the rules exactly because, admittedly, I'm a little lazy when it come to these things.
So here we go, eleven things about me:
1. When I was a kid, I wanted to be an opera singer or an astronaut. It's a good thing I didn't choose opera singer, because I'd be seriously shattering some windows if I did that now! Being an astronaut would be cool. Then I might be able to find my mind which my family says is lost in outer space.
2. If I wasn't a musician or author, I'd probably be a genetic engineer. I love science, and biology has always been especially interesting to me. When I studied genetic engineering in high school and college, I found it so fascinating. It was like solving puzzles - and I like puzzles!
3. When I was 21, I went on a hot-air balloon ride. It was an amazing experience - very quiet except for the bursts of hot air every now and then. It was fun watching the deer run through the fields below us.
4. I was a viola soloist in Germany. I actually had the option of staying in Germany to pursue a career as a soloist, but I decided I wanted to have a family, and I didn't see that lifestyle as being conducive to meeting someone, getting married, and having kids. So I came back to the United States and lived a normal life (if you want to call this normal!).
5. I used to be a figure skater. I had dreams of trying out for the Olympics. Obviously, that never happened.
6. I am allergic to grass and pine trees. This isn't good, because I hear in Georgia, there are lots of pine trees, and that's where I'm moving.
7. I started playing the viola when I was 13 years old. That's considered late for starting. (I picked up the violin when I was 22). It just goes to show, you're never to old to learn an instrument!
8. I used to be a PADI Scuba diving instructor. I did that for five years until I got pregnant with my first child.
9. My mom is an avid gardener. I learned a lot of what I know about plants from her.
10. I enjoy learning languages. I know bits and pieces of seven languages (some a little more than others).
11. My favorite food is watermelon. My least favorite is sauerkraut.
Here are eleven question I'm supposed to answer:
1. My favorite color: Red (although turquois is becoming a close second)
2. If I could change or make a law, what would it be? I think I'd like to ban telemarketers. They can be so annoying!
3. Do you believe individual personality characteristics have more impact from environment or genetics? Genetics. Although I think they can be enhanced or subdued by environment.
4. Do you believe there are other life forms in the universe? Yes, just as I believe there are other dimensions/multiverses. The universe is too complex for us to be the only life forms.
5. Can you remember your last dream? What was it? Yes. I was performing a piece for viola and piano that I had written. I remembered it when I woke up and have started writing it.
6. What movie most impacted your childhood? I honestly don't have one. I wasn't much of a movie watcher when I was a kid, and I really still don't watch too many movies. I'm too busy doing other things.
7. What is your fear? I think it would be to experience some kind of catastrophe where I lost my family.
8. If you were granted one wish, what would it be? World peace.
9. What was the last song you listened to? Beethoven's 7th Symphony
10. Who is the one person I would want to spend eternity with? Wow. That's a tough one! I don't think I can answer that. There are so many people who have touched my life, and so many people I'd like to have known, that I'd want the chance to meet with all of them.
11. When was the last time you smiled? Two seconds ago, as I looked at my son's smiling face and watched him do a little dance while he was waiting to use my computer.
Now here's the part I'm cheating on. I'm not making up eleven more questions. If you get this award, just use the ones I answered.
Here are the other bloggers:
1. Delight Directed Living: http://delightdirectedliving.blogspot.com/
2. Writing with Hope: http://hoperoberson.blogspot.com/
3. In Between: http://adrianadascalu.blogspot.ro/
4. Wishbone Soup Cures Everything: http://lilytequila.blogspot.com/ (Does it really?)
5. Jane's Jewels: http://missesjanesjewels.blogspot.com/
6. Eyes 2 Page: http://www.ajfrey.com/
7. Shutterbug: http://shutterbugsworld.blogspot.com/
8. Creative Writing in the Blackberry Patch: http://creativewritingintheblackberrypatch.blogspot.com/
9. Connecting with Stephanie: http://thestephanieconnection.blogspot.com/
10. To the Moon: http://moon-lore.blogspot.com/
11. Libby Heily: http://libbyheily.blogspot.com/
Thanks again for the award, K. Nowinsky. I hope you've enjoyed learning a little about me.