Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Yerba Buena Garden

The Yerba Buena Gardens are located in San Francisco, California.  Basically, it's two blocks of public parks in downtown San Francisco.  It provides over 100,000 square feet of green space for the residents.  There's grass, gardens, streams, and fountains, and even a 100 year old carousel (built in 1906) that children can enjoy.





   Children can also find a playground, a labyrinth made of hedges, and an area where they can alter the flow of the streams to create dams or irrigate the gardens.


The park is open daily from dawn to dusk.  The Carousel is open daily from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM.  The cost for two rides on the carousel is $3.00.


Now for something a little different.  We're going to play a game.  It's "name that flower (or plant)."  I'll provide a picture, and you see if you can name it.  I'll give the answer and information about it tomorrow.

What am I?
  

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures, and I love this post. I feel like I could be there.

    I think it's a coneflower of some kind . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On my recent trip to San Francisco, I really enjoyed visiting these gardens. The flower is a Black Eyed Susan.

      Delete
  2. My guess would be a type of a daisy, but I have no clue. It just reminds me of a daisy:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly in the daisy family. Around my parts, it's called a Black Eyed Susan.

      Delete
  3. Would've dug a place like that when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's wonderful that kids in the big city have a place like this to play. I wish more cities would create parks, gardens, and playgrounds for the kids.

      Delete
  4. I want to ride the carousel. How fun!
    Happy Birthday to you too....hope it's a great day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a great day. My kids loved riding the carousel! I was busy taking the pictures :)

      Delete
  5. I think I might have passed the park once (first photo), while driving through downtown San Francisco with family. Oh I miss SFO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. San Franciso is a really neat place. There seems, however, to be a problem with drug addicts and homeless people. I was just there last month, and was shocked by what I saw.

      Delete