Sunday, August 26, 2012

Japanese Friendship Garden

The Japanese Friendship Garden, located in Balboa Park of San Diego, California, originated as a tea house during the 1915-1916 Panama-California exposition.  It was named San-Ker-En in honor of the San-Ker-En garden in Yokohama, Japan. As the name implies, it is a token of friendship between our two countries.

The name, "San-Ker-En" means "three scene garden."  Those three scenes are water, pastoral, and mountain.
As visitors walk along the two acres of winding paths, they will see a Zen garden, an exhibit house, a bonsai exhibit, and the main focal point, a koi pond, stocked with several nice-sized koi.


  If you have a little time, there are some really interesting weekend classes available here.  These include sushi making, calligraphy, and conversational Japanese.

The garden is open  Tuesday through Sunday from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM.  The last admission is at 3:30.  Cost of admission is $4.00 for adults.

One last thing:  I am a guest at Virginia Wright's blog today. There's a chance for you to win a free copy of my book, That Mama is a Grouch.  Please stop by and visit!

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'd love to do that, too. Unfortunately, when we visited this place, we didn't have time for the class.

      Delete
  2. I love to stand and watch koi swim around. So colorful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I love ponds with any kind of fish swimming around!

      Delete
  3. so many cities i've visited have the friendship gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. There were actually several friendship gardens in California.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I really like the idea of the classes. Unfortunately, my family and I didn't have time for any classes when we visited.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a beautiful garden. I've tried to teach myself how to do calligraphy. I'd be happy to take a class and try to learn how to do it correctly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember doing caligraphy in the fifth grade. I've never tried to do it since.

      Delete