Founded in 1980 by Jim Gibbs, owner of Gibbs Nursery, Gibbs Gardens began as a 300-acre private family estate in Ball Ground, Georgia . It was Jim's dream to create a world-class public garden. For more than 40 years, he designed and developed the land, expanding to 376 acres of landscaped gardens adjacent to spring-fed streams, ponds, and lakes. Today there are 24 garden venues, including the Manor House Gardens, Monet Waterlily Gardens, and Japanese Gardens.
The gardens are open March through June, Tuesday-Sunday 9:00 AM until 4:00 PM and July through November, Wednesday-Sunday 9:00 AM until 4:00 PM. Cost of admission is $25 per adult.
When I visited in August, I found the gardens in full bloom, colorful and loaded with butterflies. The place is well-marked with signs, and a map is provided, so you shouldn't get lost. I've heard it's beautiful in the fall as well, so I plan to go back. If you visit north Georgia, be sure to plan a visit.
And now for the IWSG question of the month: Is there anything I regret as a writer? Hmmm. Perhaps there are two things: Not thoroughly researching the publishing industry before I began. I just jumped into it while in a completely sleep-deprived state. Probably not the best move. I think I would have tried to secure a traditional publisher with my first book or formed my own publishing company to have full control of my work. I also think I would have not spent so much money on marketing. You can spend a fortune, and never see it paid back in earnings. What about you? If you're a writer, do you have any regrets?





Dear Sherry, thank you so much for sharing these beautiful photos of the garden. And you are very photogenic, dear friend.
ReplyDeleteThat's cool you've been there.
ReplyDeleteIt's easy to spend too much on marketing.
The gardens are so beautiful. Many authors start out putting a lot of energy into marketing and then realize, like you, that marketing only helps so much.
ReplyDeleteThe estate is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteMarketing can be a big money suck.
Those are lovely gardens!
ReplyDeleteI jumped in without knowing anything, Sherry. I certainly learned quickly, but as soon as I had a handle on it, it changed. I don't recognize anything from the 1990s in this business today.
ReplyDeleteI think you've found a perfect garden spot to enjoy and recharge. Wow!
Sounds like a great fresh and green place to be during this ungodly summer heat, it was 55C in my yard today under the sun, 45C in the shade, hell on Earth, our whole garden is scorched and dead even hazelnuts are throwing down their leaves under the heat.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful gardens, and I loved seeing the Painted Lady. We've raised those a few times. I don't have much experience with paid marketing, but I can easily see how it can get away from you.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful and well-presented blog post. I enjoyed going through the entire article because it provides plenty of useful information while maintaining a very natural and engaging writing style. The subject has been covered thoughtfully, and the explanations make it easy for readers to take something meaningful away from the post. I especially appreciate articles that do more than simply provide basic information and instead give readers a better understanding of the topic. The organization, details, and overall readability are excellent, and the post feels both informative and enjoyable at the same time. You can really see the effort behind the content. This is the kind of quality article that makes readers want to explore more of the blog.
ReplyDeleteThat garden is beautiful. I prefer plants to concrete for sure.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful garden! Marketing does cost a lot and has no guaranteed return. It's a gamble I don't like, considering most of us aren't making a huge profit with our books.
ReplyDeleteThose gardens are lovely! I've definitely seen people sink way too much into marketing.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful gardens are places of peace and quietude. Realising that you want to revisit in a different season shows just how much of an impact they made on you.
ReplyDeleteHey! You are in Georgia like me! I do know about Gibbs Gardens but can you believe it, I have never been there. I would love it, I know. Thanks very much for leaving a comment on my blog. So nice to meet you!
ReplyDeleteGorgeous garden and great pic of you. Whew! I best it's a bit steamy there in August. As for the world of writing, I had no clue and marketing was a lot of work. (I was a marketing major in college and was terrible at it - ha!)
ReplyDelete