Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Giverney Water Garden



If you ever have the chance to be in Giverney, France, be sure to visit the famous gardens of artist, Claude Monet.  They are absolutely beautiful! 

Monet moved to Givery in 1883.  He began several gardens on his property, surrounding his home.   In 1893, Monet bought a piece of land next to his property.  He dug the first pond on that land. This pond became the famous Japanese water garden.  Later, it was enlarged to its present size.

The famous Japanese bridge is made of beech wood, and is covered with wisterias.  There are other bridges in the garden as well.  Weeping willows give a very restful feeling and gorgeous nympheas bloom all summer long. It is no wonder that Monet used this garden as the subject of his paintings!

The gardens are open from April 1 - November 1, from 9:30 AM to 6:00 PM.  Tickets are 8 euros.

giverny-boats

14 comments:

  1. It is a beautiful calming place (even when tourists are there). I have visited Monet's Garden and his house/studio on the same property on a tour in 2010. I have written about this gorgeous place and took my own water lilies photograph. I also have a large print of the artists spring garden on my wall. If you're interested, this post shows the water garden and the flower gardens. LINK:
    http://dghudson.blogspot.ca/2012/05/monets-garden-palette-of-color.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't able to view your link, but I agree with you. This is an absolutely beautiful place!

      Delete
  2. When I went a couple of years, I only visted the Louvre and it's grounds. Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Louvre is nice. This garden is quite a drive from Paris, but definitely worth the visit!

      Delete
  3. When I went a couple of years, I only visted the Louvre and it's grounds. Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sherry - I haven't been to Giverney .. one day I will get there .. it looks amazing. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. on the bucket list for sure. I've always loved Monet's paintings. To see the actual settings would be fantastic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The paintings are nice, but to actually be there, is an amazing experience!

      Delete
  6. Love all your garden posts, Sherry! They bring peace..... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy visiting gardens. They're a break from the hustle and bustle of life!

      Delete
  7. That would be a wonderful place to visit. I'd love to walk on that bridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wisteria hanging over the top are really pretty!

      Delete