Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Giverney Water Garden


If you ever have the chance to be in Giverny, France, be sure to visit the famous gardens of artist, Claude Monet.  They are absolutely beautiful!

Monet moved to Giverny in 1883.  He began several gardens on the property surrounding his home.  In 1893, Monet bought a piece of land next to his property and dug the first pond on it.  This pond became the famous Japanese water garden.  Later, it was enlarged to its present size.

The famous Japanese bridge is made of beech wood and is covered with wisterias.  There are other bridges in the garden as well.  Weeping willows give a very restful feeling, and gorgeous nympheas bloom all summer long.  It is no wonder that Monet used this garden as the subject of his paintings!

The gardens are open from April 1 - November 1 from 9:30 AM to 6:00 PM.  Tickets are 8 euros.

16 comments:

  1. I wonder how many aspiring painters visit that place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Giverny is beautiful. I liked the peaceful water garden best. Monet is a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Monet's work, too. I have several prints hanging around my house.

      Delete
  3. i've been and it was wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sherry! I love seeing his site of inspiration~
    Someday I hope to see it.
    Monet is one of my favs too
    ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to see this garden in person, since I love Monet's painting. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a beautiful, peaceful place to visit. Thanks for sharing about it, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sherry,

    What a great thought. Considering that France is so close to where I live, that's just the sort of gardens I would love to go to. Ooh la la!

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would be a must see. Thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete