Monday, June 10, 2013

Canadian Butchart Gardens


The Butchart Gardens, located near Victoria, British Columbia, Canada on Vancouver Island, contains 55 acres of simply gorgeous floral gardens.

In 1907, garden designer, Isaburo Kishida, came to Victoria to build a tea garden for Esquimalt Gorge Park.  A prominent citizen of the area, Jeanie Butchart, saw the garden and commissioned Kishida to create Japanese gardens for her estate.  In 1909, the sunken garden was created, followed by a rose garden and Italian garden.

Ownership of the gardens remains within the Butchart family, but they are open to the public.  The gardens are open every day from 9 AM to 4 PM, except for Christmas, when the gardens open at 1:00 PM.  Admission prices range from $3.00 for children, to $29.00 for adults, depending on the season.

10 comments:

  1. this place is on my bucket list. Everyone I know who's been there says it's phenomenal. I think all of British Columbia is one giant postcard. Aaahhh - someday. All it takes is time and money. Meanwhile, I shall keep enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to the Butchart Gardens in Victoria and it is a beautiful place, but even I think that's pricey. Many other gardens in mainland Vancouver are free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pricey. Good to see at least once, though!

      Delete
  3. Hi Sherry,

    Ah yes, I have also been to Butchart Gardens on Vancouver Island. I've also been to Minter Gardens about seventy miles east of Vancouver. Of course, being from beautiful B.C., I'm very much appreciative of this posting.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sending the pictures of Minter Gardens on my Facebook page!

      Delete
  4. I've been there!! My best friend took us to Vancouver Island for a few days and we visited Butchart. I got some amazing photos. The photo doesn't show it, but that sunken garden is huge.

    ReplyDelete