The Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens are located in Richmond, Virginia. These gardens are simply amazing. In fact, they are the winner of the 2011 National Medal for Museum and Library service.
The history of the gardens is interesting. They are on property that was once the hunting grounds for the Powhatan Indians. The land was also owned by Patrick Henry. In 1884, Lewis Ginter purchased the land. In 1913, Ginter's niece, Grace Arents, developed gardens on the property. It was her desire that when she and her partner died, the land be given to the city of Richmond to be developed as botanical gardens, honoring Lewis Ginter. In 1968, the city took over the property, but the gardens didn't come to fruition until 1981.
The Farm Garden, pictured below, consists of six 20 x 20 plots where kids can plant and harvest their own vegetables and fruit.